Wednesday, May 16, 2012

La Jolla Pastel Sketch


In the early- to mid-'90s, my husband, Neil, worked in San Diego, building huge ships.   Often I would spend a week or weekend with him then, spending time relaxing on the beach or visiting my favorite gallery, Trios (since closed), which also sold my sculptures.   One day I was hanging out at the park above the beach in La Jolla, sketching with pastels the sculpted rock cliffs.   As so often happens, there were occasional curious bystanders and tourists.   Most were respectful, just watched my drawing and maybe mumbled, "Very nice!" before they walked on.    At one point it started raining big drops, but the sun was bright.   I looked up and there were two boys, maybe 12 or 13, leaning over me from behind.   They'd been scuba diving and didn't realize they were dripping on my drawing.   It was easily blotted, and we had a very pleasant conversation about art.   

4 comments:

  1. I remember rocks like those!!! Aren't they interesting? So smooth and shaped into odd formations, like faces..hmm. I can practically hear the seagulls. like they're not too far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't La Jolla a magical place? I really miss it. Now I don't have a tax-write-off opportunity to visit there anymore.

      Delete
  2. I know La Jolla also, going to the Pageant of the Masters many times in the 80's and gallery hopping. Those were fun carefree times. A magical place. I like the story behind (literally) the piece. Yes rocks as trees have many faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like such a wonderful event in such a fabulous area to enjoy the arts, Roxane! Thank you for commenting, I always love to hear from you.

      Delete